I was asked to design a 10-page document that would help local governments improve wildfire preparedness and response for the agriculture sector.
The project’s goals were to:
- Build relationships between local governments and the agriculture sector
- Give local governments and individual producers simple steps for improving wildfire outcomes
To meet these goals, I proposed another tactic.
The result was a 40-page handbook that highlights the challenges of both local governments and producers to help each group better understand the other.
WHAT I DID:
- Facilitated conversations to focus the document on objectives and key messages
- Drafted a narrative structure to appeal to both rational and emotional arguments
- Developed an infographic to provide a framework for actions that would make them easier to understand
- Synthesized information from existing resources to write much of the document’s text
- Collaborated with subject matter experts and interviewed individuals who shared lessons learned from wildfires
- Designed the document based on elements of past resources to demonstrate credibility